At Wyong Christian Community School, Science is the key learning area where students develop knowledge, understandings, skills, values and attitudes in Science and the use of Science in Technology, which are essential for all students to succeed in and beyond their schooling. Science is an area of the curriculum that has great influence. All of the Technology which we appreciate in the world today has come about because of an understanding of the Science involved.
An understanding and appreciation of the physical, biological, chemical and technological world and the ability to make responsible and informed decisions in relation to our God given environment is essential for young people to be responsible disciples of the Lord Jesus Christ.
To achieve this, the Science Faculty seeks to pursue the following goals:
- To create an environment where each child’s individual gifts are fostered, recognising that each child is a unique creation, loved by God. – 1 Timothy 4:4 “For everything God created is good, and nothing is to be rejected .”
- To create an environment where students are encouraged to love God and to live a life of obedience to Him. – 2 John 6 “And this is love: that we walk in obedience to His commands.”
- To model Christ to our students in our words and actions. – 1 Corinthians 11:1 “Follow my example as I follow the example of Christ.”
- To provide an environment where children are nurtured, disciplined with love and accepted as valuable members of our community. – Hebrews 12:11 “No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, discipline produces a harvest of righteousness, and peace for those who have been trained by it.”
- To teach the required curricula with a Biblical focus thus allowing the students to formulate a Christian world view. – Proverbs 3:5 “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not unto your own understanding: in all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your path straight.”
Science and Technology is the study of God’s creation and the tools man has devised to support or improve our way of life. It involves systematic investigation and discovery of our surroundings as well as a body of knowledge gained through the research of others. Science and Technology is the interaction of Gods perfect creation and mans best efforts to utilise our God given resources and intelligence.
The study of Science at Wyong Christian Community School is grounded on the following biblical truths:
- God is the creator of all things both visible and invisible and the sustainer of our universe (Genesis 1:1, Isaiah 45:12, Hebrews 1:3)
- People are created beings in the image of God (Genesis 1:27)
- People were given dominion and stewardship of the earth (Genesis 2:19)
With these biblical truths as a foundation, the study of Science and Technology can help us to understand our Creator and fulfill our God given role as stewards in a God pleasing manner.